As a member of the Model Shop team, the Model Maker will be involved in daily model building, working both individually and in a team setting. Model Makers will need to realize physical models in a variety of materials, utilizing drawings and direction provided by partners and design teams. They will be part of a support group realizing building designs from concept to schematic design phases.
Essential Job Functions:
- Building models - Proficient using foamcore, museum board, clay, urethane foam, wood and acrylic. Evaluate project opportunities for decision-makers and contribute to go/no-go discussions.
- Revise and repair models as needed.
- Participate in presentations given by model shop staff to the rest of the firm.
- Build boxes for models and material samples shipped to clients, etc.
- Complete shop tasks assigned using various shop machines and hand tools.
- Work with design teams to plan and fabricate models in an efficient manner.
- Photograph models for records and presentation purposes.
- Maintain shop equipment.
Experience & Qualifications:
- B.Arch. degree or equivalent.
- 1-2 years’ experience working in a shop setting.
- Ability to read architectural drawings.
- Proficient in AutoCAD with knowledge of Rhino, SketchUp, SolidWorks or other 3D software.
- Experience with preparing STL files and using a 3D printer.
- Proactive with a great attention to detail.
- Ability to deconstruct and lay out model production in 2D, and operate a laser cutter to cut all elements of the model for assembly.
- Comfortable working with power tools.
- Must have a strong work ethic, be detail oriented and efficient.
- Able to follow instruction on tight deadlines in a professional environment.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills.
- The ideal candidate is personable, eager to learn and is able to work on large scale models within a team.
- Must be able to work from 10am to 7pm.
- Experience in DSLR photography a plus.
- Ability to use 3d programs to trouble shoot, inspect and repair STL files prior to 3d printing.
- Able to keep shop machines tuned and working safely and smoothly.
- Can contribute to the sharing of knowledge for the streamlining of our model making methodologies currently employed at Robert A. M. Stern Architects.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please click on the following link: Model Maker.