Restoration and Expansion of Ozark Hall
Fayetteville, Arkansas, under construction, completion 2013
Ozark Hall was built in two phases, in 1940 and 1946, and is one of the principal buildings in the University of Arkansas' historic campus core. We are restoring the building's exterior facades and interiors, and designing a new 24,000-square-foot wing that will complete the "C-plan" of Ozark Hall, creating a formal landscaped courtyard that will accommodate gatherings large and small and lead to an informal lawn and towards the Campus Walk and other buildings. The restoration and new wing will carry forward the Collegiate Gothic architectural vocabulary established by Jamieson & Spearl in the 1920s. The addition will be clad in the same limestone as the existing building and take its cues from Gothic stone details on the building and elsewhere on campus. The building's interior will include Gothic detailing and woodwork and traditional light fixtures. New traditional windows will replace windows from a past unsympathetic renovation, and state-of-the-art mechanical systems will be concealed to retain the building's historical character.
The new wing will house the Honors College on two levels. A 275-seat auditorium will sit at the lower level of the addition. Facilities for Fulbright College and the Geosciences Department will be distributed throughout the existing building. There will be research laboratories and faculty offices on every floor. Classrooms, teaching labs, and student study spaces will be provided on the lower two levels, and administration offices will sit on the top level. The building is seeking LEED Silver certification.