Apr 17, 2017
Newell Hall Opens at the University of Florida
Today the University of Florida celebrated the reopening of Newell Hall following a complete transformation that provides light-filled learning commons and collaborative study spaces arranged around an open stair. The centrally located Newell Hall, designed by William Augustus Edwards in 1910 and renovated by Rudolph Weaver in 1944, is the third oldest building on the University of Florida campus, earning it a listing on the National Register of Historic Places and inclusion in the University of Florida Campus Historic District. Elements from the 1944 renovation compatible with the historic campus district, including shed dormers and enlarged windows, were preserved to present a record of the evolution of the building's architectural character. The original structure is linked through a glassy connector to an office and service annex with a one-story café that opens to a pergola-shaded terrace and courtyard that supports dining, recreation, and outdoor collaborative learning.
RAMSA Partners Robert A.M. Stern, Graham S. Wyatt and Melissa DelVecchio led the design effort.
Download News PDF