Knott Science Center

The College of Notre Dame of Maryland

Baltimore, Maryland

Project Details

2000
Project Partners
Robert A.M. Stern
Graham S. Wyatt

Download Project PDF

Description

The College of Notre Dame of Maryland is the oldest Catholic women's college in North America. Founded in 1873, its buildings crown the hill of a spacious suburban site. Challenged by the competition for students of small co-educational institutions, and by the need to strengthen its programs, especially in the sciences, the College commissioned a master plan to help guide its physical growth in its second century. The master plan reorganizes roads and parking to create a formal College Walk and to make room for expanded sports fields as well as a number of new buildings and additions. The first of these is the addition to the Knott Science Center, a new 40,000 square foot wing that provides additional state-of-the-art laboratories, support space, classrooms, and offices, as well as a dignified entrance to what was, at best, a workhorse building from the 1950s. Stylistically, the new wing refers to the Gothic of Gibbons Hall (1873), the College's first building and still it’s most important.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image