Downtown Hartford Campus
University of Connecticut
The University of Connecticut’s new campus continues the revitalization of downtown Hartford’s Adriaen’s Landing District that was most recently embodied in the Front Street Retail development designed by RAMSA and completed in 2010. The new project will restore, repurpose and integrate the historic Hartford Times Building into this new campus and make it an asset to the city once more after nearly a dozen years of vacancy. Its west façade, with restored grand staircases and raised podium, will become the campus’ west entry facing City Hall Park.
In addition to enlivening Front and Arch streets with much needed retail space, the campus will accommodate 140,000 square feet of offices and meeting rooms for academic departments, classrooms, teaching laboratories, student and administrative spaces, casual dining, and social spaces on this tight, steeply sloping site.
At the heart of this campus will be a dramatic three-story, naturally-lit atrium, entered directly from Front Street that will connect the Hartford Times Building to a new five-story academic building to the east. This “tower” will stake a presence for the University from Columbus Boulevard and will be visible from as far as Interstate Route 91 to the east and the Whitehead Highway to the south. The atrium which will serve as the social hub or living room of the University, will open to a south facing, publicly accessible landscaped courtyard which will be bounded by a two-story classroom wing that terminates in a large student lounge which will serve as a beacon both day and night. At the corner of Prospect and Arch Streets, diagonally across from the main branch of the Hartford Public Library (Schutz and Goodwin, 1957 – expansion and renovation, 2007), a broad plaza and grand steps will welcome the Hartford community to the campus.
The new campus’ warm, buff-colored masonry and metal and glass exterior will not only take cues from the Hartford Times Building but will also respect and reflect the restrained, yet elegant stone facades of its historic neighbors, the Hartford City Hall (Davis and Brooks, 1915), the Morgan Memorial Wing (Benjamin Wistar Morris, 1915) and Avery Memorial Wing (Morris and O’Connor, 1934) of the Wadsworth Atheneum and the Travelers Tower (Donn Barber, 1919) located a block north on Prospect Street.
The new buildings will incorporate good sustainable design practices such as energy and water conservation to achieve LEED Gold certification.
Downtown Hartford Campus