Hoover Dining Hall

DePauw University

Greencastle, Indiana

Project Details

Under construction, completion 2016
Project Partners
Robert A.M. Stern
Preston J. Gumberich
Graham S. Wyatt

Download Project PDF

Description

The new Hoover Dining Hall will occupy a prime central location on the DePauw University campus. The dining hall, located just east of the pedestrian thoroughfare, Burkhart Walk, will together with the Memorial Student Union Building bound a new landscaped plaza that will frame views to the historic 1883 East College building from Hanna Street. This project will fulfill a core element of the University's campus master plan, by revitalizing the community space of the dining hall, where the existing 375-seat dining hall is inadequate in size to meet the students' needs.

The new dining hall will have a new east-facing entrance from the proposed pedestrian plaza, with secondary entrances facing west. The centrally located skylit servery will feature five exhibition-style stations. To the north, a 500-seat double-height dining room with a fireplace will frame views of East College through its three large bay windows. Overlooking this dining room will be a 100-seat dining mezzanine, illuminated by a bank of south-facing clerestory windows. A 100-seat faculty dining room occupies the prominent southwest corner, with views to Bowman Park. The remainder of the main floor is occupied by a series of flexible classroom spaces.

The design of the single-story, 50,000-gross-square-foot building carries forward a restrained Georgian character, manifested in waterstruck red brick, Indiana limestone, and painted wood trim.

Image Image Image Image Image Image