Georgia Judicial Complex

Atlanta, Georgia

Project Details

Under construction
Project Partners
Robert A.M. Stern
Grant F. Marani

Download Project PDF

Description

The new Georgia Judicial Complex, home of Georgia's State Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals, establishes a formal relationship with the State Capitol (Edbrooke and Burnham, 1889) across the intersection of Capitol Avenue and Memorial Drive with a facade that curves to address views from adjacent expressways. The design of this important new courthouse will carry forward the Classical architectural approach that has symbolized the dignity of the courts since the early days of the Republic.

A gracefully proportioned forecourt leads to the main entrance, surmounted by a colonnaded screen that is the centerpiece of the composition. A double stair ascends from the single-story lobby to a second-floor atrium, a light-flooded elliptical room that rises eighty feet, encircled by upper-floor balconies; a four-story window wall frames views north to the Capitol. The Court of Appeals occupies a courtroom on the main atrium level; the courtroom for the Supreme Court is located on the sixth floor, with its own antechamber with an oculus looking down into the atrium below and an arched window also offering a framed view to the Capitol.

Both courtrooms are appropriately dignified spaces with vaulted ceilings, inspired by the architecture of Sir John Soane, and stained oak paneling. Twenty-four chambers for the judges and justices wrap the courtrooms and fill the intervening floors. A partial basement contains additional clerks’ offices, taking advantage of the slope of the site from north-to-south. Low landscaped walls work in conjunction with the slope to conceal service entrances and covered parking spaces from pedestrians.

Image Image