A pair of residence halls, each housing 105 students in double rooms and suites, occupy a prominent site at the southern edge of Colgate's hilltop campus. Inserted between existing residence halls and the O’Connor Student Center (Arthur A. Meggett, 1967), the buildings frame a new south-facing green adjacent to Andrews Hall (Gouge & Ames, 1923). Negotiating a steep change in grade, each building offers two sets of entrances: a lobby to the north and a first-floor commons that opens off the new quad. The materials palette—locally quarried bluestone and cast stone accents—and restrained detailing carry forward the vocabulary established by Colgate’s first building, West Hall (Daniel Hascall, 1827). Each building's ground floor and first floor provide seminar rooms, study rooms, a communal kitchen, a student lounge, and faculty offices. Each residence hall also provides an apartment for a supervising faculty member.
Burke and Pinchin Halls achieved LEED Gold certification. The stone exterior of these two state-of-the-art residence halls, sourced locally from Buffalo, New York, reflects Colgate’s historic architectural vernacular, complementing the character of a 200-year-old institution.