Robert A.M. Stern Architects' Hoover Dining Hall at DePauw University has been certified LEED Gold by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC).
Replacing an existing dining hall that blocked the view to DePauw's signature 1883 East College building from Bowman Park, the new Hoover Dining Hall offers seating for 750 in a single-story, 50,000 gross-square-foot facility. The new building carries forward the character of older Georgian buildings on campus, with a palette of waterstruck red brick, Indiana limestone, and painted wood trim.
Hoover Dining Hall follows best practices for sustainable design with low-flow plumbing fixtures that decrease potable water use; an efficient interior lighting scheme that reduces energy use; and efficient heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems that maximize energy savings and ensure comfort throughout the building. During the construction process, more than 95% of construction debris was diverted from landfills and taken to nearby facilities to be recycled and reused. Additionally, more than 27,000 square feet of space surrounding the building is designated as vegetated open space and over 10,000 square feet is designated as pedestrian-oriented hardscape, promoting biodiversity and providing a high ratio of open space to building footprint.